Sunday, March 10, 2013

Kitchen Ban

Back home from Spring Break.
Banned from the kitchen until I finish taking the MCATs.

In the mean time, I have still somehow managed to learn how to cold brew coffee, which I think counts as a food project. Ice coffee is just infinitely better than hot coffee. I'll maybe talk about coffee and caffeine at a later date.

This is more of a question of what exactly constitutes a kitchen ban? Obviously baking is out of the question, but mandatory/necessary meals like dinner definitely count as an exception to that ban. Maybe I'm taking advantage of this and getting particularly adventurous with my meals because I just made this for dinner--Dutch cheese, raspberries, mixed greens on toasted multigrain artisan bread with dijon mustard slathered to one side.
I have never really been a huge fan of fruit/cheese mixes especially warm. Granted, I could live off of goat cheese/granny smith apples when both are served cold or at room temperature. But hot fruit and cheese? ick (this may just be a result of a poorly conceived brie/apple puff pastry project). However, recently I was enchanted by a Caseus Cheese Truck special that consisted of a raw cow milk/jam combination that stole my heart. When I say stole, I probably mean it literally and figuratively. Literally, I may have had a mini-heart attack after eating that much gooey cheesy goodness.

Luckily, this sandwich did NOT give me a heart attack. It was tres petit (to account for my study snacking throughout the day), and was a perfect balance of toasted, warm bread, melty cheese and crisp raspberries and leafy greens.This is definitely not a sandwich to be eaten in excess and relished in like Caseus', but you know, we can't have heart attacks every.single.day.


No comments:

Post a Comment