Friday, February 28, 2014

Throw Back: More Quacky Historical Cakes

Even I'm starting to get a little bored of cake, heaven forbid....

As suggested by the last few blog posts, my ~leap~ into baking was really a small, tepid, toe-poke into baking, masked gratuitously by colors and extravagant decorations. This is no different. Albeit slightly more organized. Hence, we have here a funfetti birthday cake with rice krispy ducks, probably cream cheese frosting water, chocolate cake dirt, peanut mms eggs, and a starburst pink blanket (which I think is adorable, but others seemed to find it gross as I recall). A team of three, one high school graduate and two upper classmen, was required for the attention to detail required for those ducks and that perfectly sprinkled layer of dirt to the right.


There was a lot of free time in the summer after high school before college trying to squeeze in some last memories that embodied the ~peace, luv, happyness~ glow of teenage-hood. In more modern terms, I'm referring to things like justgirlythings and other mildly pathetic life aspirations written in curly script over a sunset silhouette of your standard photostock white, young couple wearing hipster clothes. Seriously. I went biking on a cruiser in the middle of the night with a camera. If that doesn't scream stereotypes, I don't know what does. 


Perfectly sliced watermelon lit up by the afternoon sun filtering through the kitchen window perhaps? It's funny that I haven't made a colorful cake in eons. At some point I started rejecting the notion of heavily decorated desserts because often they're a lie hiding the subpar taste underneath. Like, what is the point of a perfectly-piped rose if it tastes like the most subpar Costco buttercream? But, I don't know, looking at this cake, I'm interested in reviving the-decorating-for-5-year-old trend in my early cakes. But no seriously, this cake was inspired by a picture book about a baby duck and its cozy blanket. Oh look, that was basically the title.


This cake has a surprising number of cute details, especially given the fact that I found multiple pictures of my dog and faux-artsy shots of a lamp in the same album that I assume were taken while waiting for cake to cool amongst other tasks. Well, maybe all the distractions and breaks only helped to further enrich our creativity.


Then again, clearly some of these decorations were not well thought out. Like, the concept of gravity and density seems to have been forgotten in this instance. Unless that egg is magically empty (which would be legit traumatic for the duck), that green shelled-egg should be at the bottom of the pond of a cake. And if anyone is thinking "whatever! its cake! it's not supposed to be scientifically accurate! I mean look at your ducks and multi colored egg shells!" I raise you these cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment