Sunday, July 28, 2013

Belgian Yogurt + Oats: Mason Jar Style

This is awkward. I started this blog post about a week ago when I was actually in Belgium. But now have been back for officially 15 hours, so this is all a bit outdated. However, since I am very very lazy, and have quite a number of food related things to blog about from Belgium and in the future (baking!), we will just have to play a little bit of lets-time-travel-as-we-read-this. But, oh wait, isn't that what reading kinda does all the time? Takes you to new times and places?
-----

My lack of postings about all the wonderful foods of Belgium clearly mean that I am starving. Actually not. But its a little boring and not particularly aesthetically pleasing to post picture of my dinner everyday of a fried egg with sauteed vegetables. Just envision something foodgawker worthy.
One thing that I was initially very aversive about in Belgium was milk and yogurt. I can say I have never had milk while in Belgium. The predominant form of milk that they drink there is whole milk. Like, hard core full-fat milk. And, worst of all maybe, buttermilk. 2 of the 3 other people living in the same building as me that I know from school had unpleasant experiences involving accidentally buying buttermilk. And not for baking. For drinking. Straight.
However, that aside, I'm glad I decided to try belgium/european/whatever it is...?-style yogurt before I left. The yogurt is sold in milk cartons essentially and is way way way more liquidy than any yogurt I've seen in america. You can essentially eat it with cereal as milk. Which I did. Except by cereal I mean quick cooking oats. Its actually tastes pretty good to eat uncooked oats. Particularly the quick cooking ones tend to absorb liquids pretty fast anyways, so you get some fun textures while eating.
Furthermore, Belgium likes to sell everything in glass jars (yet fails to give you recycling bags for glass when they have ones for 1-trash 2-plastic bottles and 3-compost), so check out me being hipster with my mason jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment