Thursday, July 4, 2013

Patriotism Abroad: No Blueberries Required

I celebrated 4th of July on the 3rd of July. Some of the interns working with a racecar team here had to  leave for a competition today, so we celebrated yesterday instead. Being kinda faux-martha stewart-esque, I felt it necessary that I bring something, and something patriotic. However some issues:

  • Had to be portable in a bag because you just can't bike while balancing a tray of red, white, and blue fruit tarts.
  • Had to not involve fruit. Because I'm a poor student intern in Belgium, and I have yet to see blueberries here.
  • Couldn't be baked. Because I have no baking equipment here.
Fortuitously, I had popcorn. And lots of chocolate. And, as you may be able to deduce, popcorn is something that is definitely bike friendly for transportation.


White chocolate, mm popcorn for America's birthday. One of the awesome things Belgium has are crispy mm's. While they are no longer sold in the US, chocolate with crispies is generally pretty popular here I think, so this is probably why they still sell these mms here. (Sadly, they don't sell my all time favorite pretzel mm's though).


What was mildly annoying was the scant ratio of blue and red mms vs. other colors, as well as the unequal ratio of blue mms vs. red mms. Notice how there are at least 1/3 more blue than reds here?

Popcorn recipe adapted from Kleinworthco. Popcorn doesn't really need a recipe persay, but I still like to have one to reference so I don't accidentally use like, a cup of oil to pop a half cup of popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment