Friday, June 20, 2014

Honey Chili Beer Chicken: Try Saying that 5x Fast

Look! A wild savory dish appeared! Yes, contrary to what this blog may suggest, I do not spend most of my meals eating creme brulee and ice cream (though I would love some ice cream now that summer humidity has hit).  Even when I make desserts, rarely do either I or my family consume them. This is either a commentary on my baking skills or on my family's eating habits. You can decide for yourself. Regardless of why, often there's dessert just hanging out in our fridge, leading to wasted food and me forcing teenage brothers to consume cake (I know, its a real struggle to force a skinny teen to eat junk food).



So in an effort to curb food waste (sustainability!), my parents decided that I should establish a 1:1 ratio of dessert:real food baking/cooking while at home. Sadly, as you will see in this blog, I failed to maintain that ratio. However, rather than a ratio of 5:0, I made it a ratio of 5:1 this time around. Progress! Kinda.
Anyways, this Honey Chili Beer Chicken came into existence after extensive research (googling "chicken thigh recipes") and polling (siblings, please pick what you want to eat tonight).


I'm a huge fan of essentially everything in the namesake of this recipe, and I love baking with alcohol, so naturally, cooking with alcohol was the next logical step. Honey (or in this case agave) is a nice complement to the chili sauce and sweet onions, which are all rounded off with a note of beer. We only had some Hawaiian Island Surfer Lager around in our house, but I get the impression that any beer that isn't too dark/bitter will work. Then again, I don't really know much about beer sooooo, ya'll should check out the recipe on The Beeroness instead!


In other news, real food is much harder to take pretty pictures of. Something about the brown color of COOKED chicken is just not the same as the bright green of a green tea cupcake. Though we all kinda know for obvious reasons why you do not want your chicken to be a radioactive green color.

TL;DR
  • Working on adding more savory into my cooking/blogging.
  • Chicken is fun and easy to make!
  • Beer! Onions! Honey! Chili! Yum!
  • Savory plating is hard.



No comments:

Post a Comment