Friday, June 6, 2014

Red Wine Berry Sorbet: The Stuff of Fantasy

I think authors and daydreamers have a romanticized notion of red wine. I can easily imagine several of my favorite fantasy characters sitting around a hearth fire with a glass of red wine mulling over their next enemy or the fates they have been dealt by the gods. Ok, so I'm mainly thinking about Cersei Lannister at the moment, but I'm sure that you too had someone pop into your head.


As I, and so many other college/young professionals have been told, alcohol is an acquired taste (that is, if you're not dousing it in orange juice first). While I have acquired a taste for beer and to a certain degree white wine, red wine continues to challenge me. Sure, it has a nice warmth to it, and I don't think I particularly mind the tannins, but something about it just makes me excessively sleepy and occasionally gives me a mild headache. But red wine in the books seems reserved to be sipped only by the oldest, most elite, most evil, or most wise. Perhaps I need to work on losing more of my sense of rationality and morals before I can sip away at wine like Cersei can. Or you know, just grow very old with wisdom in a cold, mildly post-apocalyptic setting.


But until that happens, I'll have to get my serving of red wine (since thats a key part of the nutrition plate of course) via the one food group almost everyone easily fills--dessert. In this case, red wine berry sorbet. After making white wine cupcakes, I felt I needed to make something out of the other wine. While I throughly researched several potentially great red wine and chocolate cupcakes, a little visit to a winery during senior week where we sampled a chocolate red wine (yes, it was literally a red wine flavored with chocolate) turned me off from the pairing. Especially after one of our friends commented that it tasted a bit like cough syrup and it was forever imprinted into my taste pallet (Thanks--you know who you are).


Since the chocolate and wine combo was off the table for now, I ended up making this sorbet instead (incidentally my first sorbet). Luckily, there was about a half cup of Cabernet Sauvignon in our fridge at home, which was just a little less than what I needed for the recipe I used from Today's Nest. I believe the recipe says you can use either frozen or fresh berries, so I just used a the frozen mix that my one true love Costco sells. While the sorbet came out sorbet-like in the end with both berries and wine present, I think I would have liked it if it were a little more creamy. The taste was a lot like a berry smoothie with a bite of red wine at the end. I personally prefer my sorbets and ice creams on the creamier side, so perhaps I should have used a creamier milk than 2%. I might stick to custard based ice creams for now since they are just so delicious, but maybe I'll peruse the sorbet side of frozen treats again one day.

TL;DR:
  • Red wine is used a lot in fantasy. Even one of my favorite bands titled a song after it.
  • Sorbets aren't as creamy as ice cream.
P.S. I know my pictures are usually not very good, but these have some seriously questionable lightening/color. So for that, I apologize profusely.

No comments:

Post a Comment