Friday, August 29, 2014

Doctor Who Cookies: No Jammie Dodgers Required

Ah yes. Fall. The peak of summer humidity has finally come to an end. The sleepy, lazy days of August are shaking off to the start of the new school year. But oh wait. For the first time in forever (since like I was 3 years old), I don't have school this fall or rather, year. And yes, you were supposed to read "for the first time in forever" with the melody of said song from Frozen. So, rather than celebrate the non-existent return of school, lets celebrate something more exciting-the return of Doctor Who to TVs all across ponds in the world!


Yes its been a rather long hiatus since December, with hardly any episodes last year-aside from the 50th anniversary special and Matt Smith's farewell. Doctor Who is a strange show. Or rather, my continued dedication to it is a bit strange. David Tennant will always be my favorite doctor (all the angst!). Matt Smith, and the show over the past few years under Moffat? Eh, lets just say it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of meaningful storytelling, and positive representations of women. Honestly, the combined terribleness that was Matt Smith's Christmas goodbye, the 50th anniversary, and plain shoddy writing last year made me embarrassed to say that I watched Doctor Who.


Since the premier last weekend, I've gained a small glimmer of hope that this season, Doctor Who will return to some of its roots in meaningful, angst-filled, morally challenging stories that aren't solved with buttons or quick resets. Peter Capaldi has taken on the role now as the Doctor, and word has it that he's been resisting some of Moffat's less than savory story directions, such as any flirty boyfriend-girlfriend interactions with his companion, the young, oh-so-horribly characterized Clara. Seriously, I think I learned more about her personality in this first episode than in all of last season. Maybe its a commentary on just how bad Doctor Who had gotten, but this new episode has breathed new life into my enthusiasm for Doctor Who (haha ged it? no you probably don't).


I realize that this "food" blog post, that probably should be detailing more about the process of making sugar cookies and decorating them using awesome food color dyes and food markers has been completely hijacked by a rambling story about how I lost my faith in Doctor Who and am slowly hoping it will return. But like the long storied history of Doctor Who, sometimes episodes just don't make sense and you have to roll with it. So for non-Doctor Who fans, bear with me, as I promise there will likely be a ~holiday~ sugar cookie post at some point in the distant future.

Some quick comments about sugar cookies. The recipe I used tasted great, but I found that it helped to freeze the cookie dough for a quick 3-4 minutes after cutting out shapes to facilitate their movement to a baking sheet.

Sugar cookie recipe from The Kitchn. Royal icing and pro-decorating tips from Bake at 350. Doctor Who cookie cutters from We the Sciencey.

No comments:

Post a Comment