Friday, August 8, 2014

Drunken Noodles: Or Drunkard Noodles?

A quick wiki search answers the question I know that we're all thinking (if you're thinking about like your cat instead or something, we're wondering here why the flip its called drunken noodles). And sadly the answer is rather unclear. Given that no wine is actually used in the original dish, I'd have to say I'm pro-the theory that the dish was first made by a drunk fool late one night who didn't have access to pizza. At least the name "drunken" appears to also be in the original thai name, so it's not some random Americanization of the dish. Or some random American invention (looking really judgmentally at you fortune cookies).


It took me a very long time between bookmarking this recipe in my little Cooking For Two book to actually making this. I had a surprisingly hard time finding wide rice noodles. I ended up just settling for some medium-sized rice noodles after my third trip to the Asian market here. That's another thing, I don't know why, but going to Asian markets alone always makes me a bit anxious. Probably the whole embarrassment of not really knowing Chinese or the culture. You know, all that stuff with being offspring of immigrants.


 Anyways, aside from the fact that I managed to load quite a bit of vegetables into this dish (hurray!), the only thing I really have to say is that this is probably the first and only time so far that I've taken semi-decent pictures of food on these ~Christmas~ themed plate. Not that I really had a high bar to pass given the many problems in my oh-so-professional non-existent photo studio. Sorry, was that too many modifiers? Oh well.


Drunken Noodles recipe from The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook by America's Test Kitchen. I got this book as a graduation gift to help with my single-dome cooking because no one likes leftovers for an entire week. The book has some very helpful tips about how to store things to prevent mold and decay, but some of the recipes do seem to require a number of special tools that I'm just not into buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment