Friday, March 6, 2015

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies: The Post-Holiday Sales

I think I love the day after holidays more so than actually holidays. Ok, so 100% NOT the case for Christmas. And, I do like coming up with absurd witty costumes (I was The Fault in Our Stars last year. I wrote faults on stars-get it?) for Halloween. But Easter and Valentine's Day? Meh. Easter is a significantly larger deal on the East Coast than it is on the West Coast I've noticed. Anyways, the best thing about these two said holidays is that Walgreens goes all out on the excess of holiday decor and holiday themed sugar. And the day after said holidays are over, everything goes on sale for like 50-75% off.


I realize this whole discussion/excitement I have for cheap candy is not really something I should be proud of. I probably sound incredible stingy, and probably have a slightly higher risk of dietary problems because of the vast quantities of sugar that tend to hang out in my apartment. But see, this is why I desperately need to live somewhere warm so that when the cold winter days come, I can still run around outdoors like the free running gazelle I was trained to be.

 

Fortunately, I'm not actually a gazelle, because things like chocolate oatmeal cookies are probably not a part of their diets. As its been rehashed multiple times, oatmeal cookies with traditional raisins are one of the most offensive types of cookies out there. I mean, raisins in general are offensive in desserts. Oatmeal cookies themselves are great. Granted, they can sometimes taste a little dusty, but adding a healthy dose of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice to these cookies, and replacing raisins with chocolate made for a happily textured cookie. My America's Test Kitchen cookbook for small kitchens sues granola rather than oatmeal for their cookies, so I might try that in the future.


Thank you Valentine's Day for the dark chocolate M&Ms. I look forward to yellow, green, and blues come post-Easter. Recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment