Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Chill Box: Froyo So Cool, It's Square

My cooking and food adventures in Belgium haven't been very awe-inspiring or successful. Unless you count being able to eat like 6 gaufre de leige (basically packaged waffles with sugar inside) without dying a successful food story. Most of my dining out has primarily consisted of drinking beer, because, well, its Belgium. And although my internship does give me a stipend, its not quite enough for fine dining every evening. Lucky for this blog, one of my oldest friends ever came to visit me this past weekend! I moved around a fair amount when I was younger so I don't have too many friends from when I was young, but this friend was essentially my "best friend," back in the 90s. Obviously we've grown up in separate ways, but it was great to see her again after so long (last time I saw her was maybe 4 years ago?).
Unfortunately for my dear friend, having celiac while in Belgium surrounded by chocolate was not too kind. Too many times she got served salads 2x as expensive as my sandwiches, yet only half the size. And while one would not expect gluten to exist in chocolate, literally every shop we went into had to carry that sad "may contain traces of nuts, gluten, ect ect." It seriously broke my heart. She would probably shake her head at me, because honestly, despite being unable to eat SO many things, she eats super well and deliciously on a day to day basis by the sounds of it. 
Towards the end of our trip, we did find a small consolation prize for all those near misses with gluten infested chocolates--self serve frozen greek yogurt in Brussels! A la the namesake of this blog, the yogurt was served in these cubic boxes like the one you see above rather than a normal bowl. Granted, there is a bowl. When you get your froyo, you have a bowl and its basically the same thing as US froyo. However, after you pay, they give it to you in this little box to carry around and hold. Probably to look super cool and hipster and attract more customers/tourists to the shop.
While the fact it was "frozen greek yogurt' was what attracted us to the shop, it honestly tasted just like normal froyo. Unfortunately, they only had strawberry, mango, and chocolate as available flavors. I was really hoping they would have just a plain tart flavor, which probably would have tasted amazing and different from normal froyo. Alas, earwax.

No comments:

Post a Comment