Monday, June 24, 2013

Food Recap of London

Went to London this weekend to visit a dear college (!) friend and to see the xx perform in a specially curated event call Night + Day that they put on. It was essentially a 1-day music event/festival with fantastic food and cider as well. It was basically what I would like heaven to be. Amazing music in idyllic green British countryside surrounded by amazing food. Ok, I would also like a little more sunshine and maybe some CA dry mountains as well.


At the festival, food consisted of a pork sandwich with apple sauce and rockets. By rockets, they mean arugula. It was delicious of course. The food stand had hogs throughout the day roasting on spits from which they would cut off the pork from. I don't usually eat pork, but when I do, its awesome. Most people were drinking cider at the festival. The cider was delicious and came in several flavors. I had pear as seen above, elderflower and lime, and cloudberry. Elderflower and lime was my favorite I think. They all tasted like fruit juice though and were much lighter than those 8% Belgian beers I've been drinking these past few weeks.


The next day, we walked around and did some tourism things in London. We took a boat ride down the Thames from Westminister to Greenwich so that I could see the adorable town and satisfy the inner astronerd in me and see the prime meridian and stand in UTC time! In the town itself, there is a market (called the Greenwich Market of course) that sold all sorts of artsy, handmade crafts and vintage fare in addition to some fantastic food. For lunch, we got Haloumi and Lamb wraps from the stand that had the longest line, and it was SO worth those 6 pounds. There were obviously dessert stands as well, so I got a Trekking Cookie that won some sort of award (though you could have anything win an award). I love trail mix cookies, or kitchen sink cookies as they're sometimes known. This one didn't have raisins in it either, which made me extra happy. My friend got an ice cream sandwich from them which looked amazing as well!


I had dinner with an elementary school friend who happened to be studying abroad in London. Her parents were also visiting that weekend so we all walked around a bit and had dinner together at this vegan/gluten free friendly casual dining place. I ended up getting a sweet potato falafel box with brown rice and slaw. It reminded me of fresh CA fare and was probably one of the most health-minded meals I've had in a while, which was awesome. I failed to take pictures of this though. Above, are cookies I bought at St. Pancras while waiting for my train back to Brussels when I got hungry for something sweet. These were surprisingly accurate in emulating the "neapolitan" taste. And scent actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment