Friday, July 11, 2014

American Crepe Cake: Waiting For The Right Partner

The subtitle doesn't actually mean anything. I was trying to think of a relevant Captain America quote. For all the "pure good" and lack of redemption arc in Captain America's personality, I love Captain America. It's probably more of the anachronisms that I love. But you know, Chris Evans isn't exactly hard to look at or anything. And even though he has that whole moral righteousness thing going, he also has that David and Goliath thing too. Though, unlike David, Steve Rogers got super muscles that helped him defeat the bad guys. So maybe not David and Goliath. Sorry.


Anyhoo, I still don't have this blogging thing down, as evident by this one week late post. Though, *technically* I did make this over the 4th of July weekend, so in realtime, it was seasonally appropriate. Just not in blogtime. Though some might frown at the idea of a crepe cake as a patriotic dessert. But I would argue that it is 100% American to take the thin delicate dessert of the French and make it into a big, colorful, mega frosting-filled cake and call it our own. Sounds about right.


As second attempts at crepe cakes goes, this cake was certainly better than my first crepe cake, though we still have quite a long way to go before I reach Lady M's status. Decoration wise, its pretty clear that my american flag proportions were a bit off, and my frosting skills need some work. Perhaps I'll try a frosting transfer next time? I tried out a different crepe batter recipe (linked at end) from Smitten Kitchen who got from a NYT article for this cake compared to my first. This one required a bit more work--needing browned butter and steamed milk, plus time to cool, but I think I do like this one better.


 Unfortunately, I had to give in and buy grocery store frosting (oh the shame for a food blog!). As a recent real-adult without a handmixer, cornstarch, or a strainer, a vanilla pastry creme was not particularly feasible. Especially since I'm supposed to be working on a little thing called medical school applications. But hey, they would totally understand if I submit my applications late. After all, I was making a crepe cake for AMERICA. Regardless, at least it was store-bought cream cheese frosting so the weird aftertaste you tend to find in canned frosting was not as strong.



Crepe recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Flag inspiration from Betty Crocker 1000 other food bloggers who love the food dye.

No comments:

Post a Comment