Friday, July 4, 2014

New York Food Trip: Festivals and Doctors

I'm not one for restaurant or location posts, but sometimes its good to experiment. And given that it is 4th of July and that I have nothing red, white, and blue to show for it, I figure I'd go for the next closest America-related post I have--the great American city of New York. A few weeks ago I went on a day trip to NYC with one of my friends here for essentially the purpose of eating as much delicious food as possible. Thank goodness that New York involves so much walking or we would have been much too stuffed to get through the entire day.
Around lunch time, we went to a food festival that is going on near Broadway by Macy's during the entire summer. It's called Broadway Bites, and as the pictures I've taken suggest, it's everything you want a cutesy pop-up food festival to be. There were foods ranging from meatball sandwiches to bimimbap to beer ice cream to several stands selling exotic lemonade flavors.





We ended up all sharing a Margherita pizza from a stand that was baked the pizzas a wood-fire oven as seen below. The pizza while fun to watch cook was probably average at best. Then again, I'm the type of person who loves an abundance of oozing cheese and overflowing toppings on my pizza.



Afterwards, we headed up towards Central Park to go to the plaza and try some of Lady M's mille crepes cakes. Lets just say that after trying an ~authentic~ crepe cake, that I am whole-heartedly embarrassed to have even posted my biscoff crepe cake, let alone think that my crepes were good or that my cake was photo-worthy. Maybe my crepes could have passed an unsuspecting taster when served alone and stuffed with whipped cream, but in a cake, my crepes were so much fatter and rubbery than Lady M's. My crepes were like an oversized bumbling hippo in a swamp of ganache while Lady M's were like a water strider skipping across a delicate glass of champagne. That being said, I clearly have a lot of work cut out for me in the future even if I never attain Lady M's levels of perfection. Though I will say that towards the last 5 bites, the sugar was really starting to get to me.


We then took a walking break to meander some shops and walk off our sugar highs before taking the subway down to Brooklyn. Our main goal was to visit a Doctor Who bar, which I'll mention below, but we also stopped by a korean taco shop afterwards called Kimchi Grill for dinner. My picture is a bit blurry, but I got a Korean BBQ Beef Short Rib, Korean Fried Chicken, and Pomegranate and Roasted Veggie taco. All were excellent and out of this world in flavor, crunch, and spice (in a good way). I'm already trying to figure out a way for me to have these tacos again.


Finally, some pictures of the Waystation, the Doctor Who themed bar we visited. Yes, we went to Brooklyn just to visit a Doctor Who theme bar. But when a bar has a bathroom shaped like a phone booth slash time and space machine, how can you say no? Heck, I couldn't even say no to posting this awesome but blurry picture of the bathroom from the exterior.


Also, this is and airports with novelty toilets are probably the only instances I would ever take pictures inside a bathroom. You can ask me about that one time I took a picture of a toilet in Chicago O'Hare if you want. Or actually, I'll just tell you so your mind doesn't wander. It was the first time I saw the toilets that have that ring of plastic around the seat that automatically rotates so you have a "clean" seat everytime. Even though the amount of bacteria on a toilet seat is relatively minimal compared to like the door handle of a bathroom and even your kitchen counter. Gross right?




Extra cool points if you understand any of the above Doctor Who references. If not, Happy 4th of July everyone! May your day be filled with lots of red, white, and blue themed foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment