Friday, July 18, 2014

Bloomin' Onion Bread: Too Much Cheese? As If!

When my friend and I were making this bread, we were a little unsure how much cheese to put in the bread. How much exactly was 12 oz of cheese? We didn't know, so we decided, hey, it's not like there's such thing as too much cheese. So we started stuffing. But then we remembered there was that little thing called net wt on commercial packages of shredded cheese. Not that it matters, but 12 oz of cheese is a little less than 1 package of normal grocery store packaged shredded cheese. So that basically means you get to round up to the next integer value of a bag of shredded cheese for your bread!

Sorry. I need to work on my iPhone picture taking skills when it comes to blur still.
My family used to go to Outback Steakhouse quite a bit when I was younger. It was our "fancy celebration meal" go to place, next to Chili's before my parents got too hip for middle tier family sit-down restaurants. We never ordered an actual Bloomin' Onion, but I do remember my Mom telling us that the rye bread they give you at Outback was chocolate bread. Should have known better. Still, it's pretty delicious bread. Like the sourdough here.


Given my fear of yeast, I did not make a homemade loaf of sourdough. And, when you're focused on cheesy, onion-y goodness, who has time to feed microorganisms too? Well, we were certainly well fed. Add the last bottle of Fire and Blood Ommegang Game of Thrones beer, and I'd call this a pretty successful dinner. Oh to be in your twenties and call bread, cheese, and beer your dinner. Actually, that sounds like you're role-playing some medieval fantasy. Oh wait.


Recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything. I added in some caramelized white onions in addition to the green onions in the original recipe, but the fun thing about cooking (unlike baking) is that you can kinda wing it with easy stuff like this. I will say that cutting bread into squares/a matrix is rather difficult if you're trying to maintain picturesque pockets of cheese. If not, hackaway in whatever 4-edged shapes you want.
Also, bonus points if you get the Clueless reference. If you're looking for some more modern adaptations of Emma, check out Emma Approved yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment