Saturday, May 18, 2013

Avocado Mac and Cheese: The Most Delicious Way to Consume Fats

Macaroni and cheese itself is full of those swoon worthy flavors of salty creamy cheesiness (even in powdered form). Add avocado to the mix? I think I died a little and went to foodie heaven tonight. I don't think I could have cooked a happier dinner for myself to celebrate having a kitchen again for the summer.


 Along the way, I also got some new cooking experiences! Since I'm a literal n00b at cooking.
  • Minced fresh garlic for the first time. I normally buy the pre-chopped stuff because I used to be scared of chopping garlic, but it was definitely not actually too difficult. There's something strangely satisfying about crushing that tiny clove with the side of a knife.
  • Made cheese sauce on the stove top. It was really really surprisingly thick. The sauce was not, well, saucy, and more like moist dough. I was so worried I added MORE milk and butter to the mix, which only marginally helped and just made the entire sauce probably excessively decent, but its ok.
  • Cooked chicken breast on the stove top. So not a new experience, but definitely still a scary experience. Sorry, I'm terrified of meats. But it turned out ok too. Probably because it was mixed with the mac and cheese and smoothered in avocado and cheese.
garnishes for the iPhone camera
The recipe was from Two Peas and Their Pod. I made a few changes to the recipe based on items in my kitchen (there is no pepper in this kitchen...I'm serious).
  • The use of whole milk is probably not necessary. I used it, because I assumed that all mac and cheese should be as creamy as possibly, but I don't think I would have noticed if I used skim or something.
  • Paprika=really delicious addition if you don't have pepper.
  • I used whole wheat pasta. I usually hate whole wheat pasta, but since this stuff was so gooey and flavorful, you really don't notice.
  • Added in some chicken for extra protein (though the cheese and milk does have protein in it)
  • Did I mention the gummy cheese sauce that turned out to work perfectly?

No comments:

Post a Comment