Monday, May 20, 2013

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles: Seasonal Appropriate, Me?

I've been suffering from a case of sniffles. More like sore throat. But sniffles makes it sound much more endearing and cute sick puppy-like. In reality, its more like hey-my-throat-is-dying and I-am-turning-into-the-voice-of-a-smoker. The sudden decision for New Haven to descend into summer humidity tonight is not helpful either.
Being sick tends to make me pine for warm, spiced things. A nice cup of chai tea. A hot tomato basil soup. Ok. Sorry about the stereotypes. Even though its summer, the season of watermelon, lemons, pineapples, grills, ect ect ect, I never get to bake when pumpkin is "seasonally appropriate."


So forgive me for my Fall Deviation foodies (show trial me all you like, but I refuse to admit to any crimes), but here I present Pumpkin Snickerdoodles. The awesome thing about this recipe is that it doesn't require cream of tartar, which seems to be essential in classic Snickerdoodles. Unfortunately, I don't exactly know what else one uses cream of tartar for (tartar sauce...?), so buying cream of tartar just for snickerdoodles when I move at least 2x a year and bake only 2-3 months out of the entire year is useless.
I'm also 99% sure that the girls who I am subletting my apartment for the summer from again (for the second summer in a row) still have the brown sugar I left them from last summer. The only difference was that it became a rock, typical. I must have microwaved that rock for at least 5 minutes in total time, and I still had rocky unyielding pockets of brown sugar in the batter. Whatever, little things don't matter that much Helen my dear.


Recipe was from Seeded at the Table, who got it from Annie's Eats, who got it from Dylan I believe. Not linking out of laziness, but hey, there's at least one link. Though in scientific literature, it would be more proper to cite the original or all of them I suppose.
Notes:
  • This recipe makes LOTS of cookies
  • You really only need half the recipe of coating.
  • I don't get the coated glass jar thing. It was fine just squishing them without the coating. Maybe if some of the sugar coat started coming off.
  • Didn't have that many spices, since, you know, college kids flying around ever few months don't carry spice racks in their essential belonging. Just used cinnamon and some absurdly overpriced apple pie spice mix I had for some reason.
  • More pictures, less text next time Helen.



No comments:

Post a Comment